Re: [Q] GNu Emacs/MacOS X/Font Encoding

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Q] GNu Emacs/MacOS X/Font Encoding
Date: 09 May 2003 10:26:18 +0900

Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren <address@hidden> writes:
> in order to avoid having to filter all our files before feeding them
> to other software, we need a GNU Emacs that can read and write Latin 1
> properly using unibyte.

Of course emacs can read and write latin 1 just fine in multibyte mode.

I'm not sure how many people still use emacs in unibyte mode, but my
impression* is that it's the minority these days, even in europe -- Emacs
simply works a lot better in multibyte mode (even if you only ever use a
single character set).

Unibyte mode is at best a flaky hack left over for historical reasons.

* Of course I base my opinion on what I've seen personally, which
  probably means my viewpoint is biased in favor of emacs experts.
  Though one can get some idea from watching bug reports, what the
  unwashed masses are doing is less clear.

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that