Re: Document that failed search/match preserves match data

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Document that failed search/match preserves match data
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:15:24 -0400

    "On success, a search or match sets the match data for the whole
    expression and any matched subexpressions.  If the search or match
    fails, the match data from the most recent successful search will be
    preserved.  (You should not depend on the match data being preserved
    in case of an error in the search function.)"[1]

That text looks good for the manual, except that I would interpret
"fails" as including the error case.  That is the first case that came
to my mind when I read those words--only after reading the last
sentence did I realize you must mean only when the search function
returns nil.

It would be better to say "when the function returns nil".