Re: describe-char and unicode data

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: describe-char and unicode data
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:52:41 +0200

Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:

> "James H. Cloos Jr." <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The related Unihan.txt has up to 78 possible entries for each of
>> 71098 characters.
>
> Unihan.txt is strongly non-free, so it can't be distributed anyway.
> Data derived from it falls under the same restrictive license, I fear.

Note the last sentence below.

UCD Terms of Use
Disclaimer

    The Unicode Character Database is provided as is by Unicode, Inc. No claims
are made as to fitness for any particular purpose. No warranties of any kind
are expressed or implied. The recipient agrees to determine applicability of
information provided. If this file has been purchased on magnetic or optical
media from Unicode, Inc., the sole remedy for any claim will be exchange of
defective media within 90 days of receipt.

    This disclaimer is applicable for all other data files accompanying the
Unicode Character Database, some of which have been compiled by the Unicode
Consortium, and some of which have been supplied by other sources.

Limitations on Rights to Redistribute This Data

    Recipient is granted the right to make copies in any form for internal
distribution and to freely use the information supplied in the creation of
products supporting the UnicodeTM Standard. The files in the Unicode Character
Database can be redistributed to third parties or other organizations (whether
for profit or not) as long as this notice and the disclaimer notice are
retained. Information can be extracted from these files and used in
documentation or programs, as long as there is an accompanying notice
indicating the source.

    The file Unihan.txt contains older and inconsistent Terms of Use. That
language is overridden by these terms.