Re: describe-char and unicode data

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: describe-char and unicode data
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 03:38:18 -0400

        Recipient is granted the right to make copies in any form for
        internal distribution and to freely use the information
        supplied in the creation of products supporting the UnicodeTM
        Standard. The files in the Unicode Character Database can be
        redistributed to third parties or other organizations (whether
        for profit or not) as long as this notice and the disclaimer
        notice are retained. Information can be extracted from these
        files and used in documentation or programs, as long as there
        is an accompanying notice indicating the source.

Perhaps that last sentence gives us permission to release a free work
containing the full information, but we had better check that with a
lawyer first.

        The file Unihan.txt contains older and inconsistent Terms of
        Use. That language is overridden by these terms.

If these terms are free, then we can use Unihan also.
But we don't yet know if we can use any of it.