Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 10:45:21 +0200

address@hidden (David Kastrup) writes:

> So what can we do about this?
>
> a) use only SMP systems
> b) pester Linux developers to be less eager with context switches on
>    select.  I am trying this course now, but it will of course take
>    time to register and other OS might have similar problems
> c) make a super-efficient path for process output arriving in tiny
>    chunks, since this is what we will be force-fed most of the time.

I wonder if the invocation of the process filter function could be
optimized.

Idea: the current situation might be this: when Emacs gets stuff from
a process, it reads the data, stashes it somewhere in a buffer, then
invokes the process filter function on the stashed-away stuff.

We might change it so that, after stashing the stuff in a buffer,
Emacs looks again if more data is available from the same process.
If so, also read it and stash it in the buffer, too.

That way, Emacs might continue reading stuff from the process until
the process has nothing to produce.

(I think I'm lucky that Tramp doesn't use process filters :-)
--
This line is not blank.