Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:58:22 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
> I do not understand the issues involved in detail, I do not know what
> we need and why.  In my naive reasoning, Emacs would be fine if it
> requested UTF8_STRING first and COMPOUND_TEXT second always.  This is
> what the free desktop documents seems to recommend.  Or prehaps request
> TARGETS first to check for UTF8_STRING, and use that if available and
> something else if not (COMPOUND_STRING, STRING or TEXT in that order?).

The current Emacs still don't unify Unicode and the other
legacy charsets (e.g. iso-8859-2, jisx0208, gb2312)
automatically.  So, for instance, if iso-8859-2 characters
arrive at Emacs with UTF8_STRING, they are decoded into the
charset mule-unicode-0100-24ff and treated differently
(e.g. in searching) than the characters of the charset
iso-8859-2.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden