Re: Various simple.el patches

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Various simple.el patches
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:52:09 -0500 (CDT)

line--

I believe that I finally have a version of kill-whole-line that treats
the kill ring correctly regardless of whether the buffer is read-only
or not.  It is actually simpler than the (incorrect) version I sent
yesterday.  (I was making things too difficult.)  It still suffers
"externally" from the problem with kill-region I reported earlier
today.  That is, if you are at the end of the buffer, do M-2 C-k and
then a kill command, you are in trouble no matter what the kill
command is.  That is a separate problem.  However the version of the
function I gave yesterday suffered "internally" from the problem,
without prior "empty kill".  This is no longer the case.

It seems that my latest version works perfectly in the absence of
invisible newlines.  However...

There seem to be bugs with forward-visible-line.  I will report on
these separately.

Sincerely,

Luc.