Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:17:29 -0400

> >     My understanding is that some of the currently popular small
> >     devices do not support floating point.  I do not know for sure,
> >     but if true, then potentially, millions of people could use such
> >     an Emacs.
> >
> > Nowadays GCC provides emulated floating point even if the machine
> > does not support it.
>
> But on embedded devices one might not particularly cherish the
> program space taken up by floating point emulation routines that you
> might never need.  And on some of those small devices, gcc might not
> be available.
>
> I don't know whether this is relevant compared to the size and
> availability of Emacs overall, but it might be something to keep in
> mind.

I don't think it's relevant.
I also don't think that float.el is what people would use if they want
Emacs to support floating point (it's probably more efficient to use a libc
or libm implementation instead).  Finally, I seriously doubt that Emacs
as it currently stands can be built without floating point support.

Looks like we need a reality check here.

If someone wants to get a "float-free Emacs" working, fetching float.el
from the obsolete subdirectory (or even from a tarball of an old
Emacs version) will be the least of the guy's worries.

        Stefan