mode line depth

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: mode line depth
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:27:00 -0400

The mode-line-format has a depth limit past which things are deemed
"invalid".  The unfortunate thing is that with all the neato
things we're doing there now, the minor-mode-alist variable
appears pretty deep already, so a simple minor-mode lighter like

        (" SC" (sc-auto-fill-region-p
                (":f" (sc-fixup-whitespace-p "w"))
                (sc-fixup-whitespace-p ":w")))

is already too deep and you get " SC*invalid**invalid*" :-(

Should we bump up the current limit of 10 to something like 20 (or
even 100, just to be "safe") ?
BTW, the mode line just says "*invalid*", I suggest that it
should say "*toodeep*" instead, it would have saved me some time.

        Stefan