Re: Emacs failes to communicate with other X clients

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs failes to communicate with other X clients
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:22:08 +0300

> From: Robin Hu <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:19:10 +0000
>
>    For example, a chinese word is encoded in compound text
>    as : "^[$(AV1^[%/2\200\210gbk-0^B\351F;y", as I have provide gbk
>    coding system myself, emacs can decode the first two characters
>    correctly, but it miss the last character, because it doesn't know
>    "\351F;y" should be decoded follow "^[$(AV1".
>
>    I try to correct this bug myself, but it seems quite diffcult in the
>    exist compound-text-with-extension coding system.  ;-(

I'm not sure I understand correctly the situation, but IIRC, gbk is
not supported by compound-text-with-extensions.  If you want to add
such a support, you need to modify the alist of non-standard ICCCM
encodings used by Emacs to match known coding-systems to the encoding
name mentioned in the X selection encoding.  See mule.el for the
definitions of those alists.

>    I'd like to know how about leaving this decoding stuff to X itself, I
>    knew XmbText family can do this kind of thing.

How can Emacs leave that to X?  We need to convert the X selection
text into the internal representation of characters used by Emacs; X
knows nothing about that representation.  Am I missing something?