Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 03:24:56 +0200

On Sat, 24 May 2003 19:18:54 -0400, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> It would be useful to find out
>
> 1. Whether the job done by that file is still necessary.
>    If the answer to #1 is no, then the file is obsolete.
>
> 2. Whether the file still works.
>    If the answer to #2 is no, then the file could use fixing.
>
> 3. If the answers are Yes and No, who would like
>    to update the file.

Asking the author (Tom Houlder <address@hidden>), if he's still around,
would be the best way to find out, I'd say. (Not sure if he's the same
Tom Houlder from http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TomHoulder)

> A separate file that normally isn't loaded costs very little.

In run time or exe size metrics, sure. But every single file added to
lisp/ (or src/ or whatever) adds complexity that has to be handled
somehow.

>     What about unused.el?
>
> Maybe combine it with misc.el.

Well, at least that way we'll have one file for
probably-not-used-by-anyone elisp functions instead of two ;-)

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u