Re: Subject: w32 mouse wheel handling

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Subject: w32 mouse wheel handling
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 00:17:31 -0400

David PONCE <address@hidden> writes:

> Another annoying thing with the way mouse wheel events are handled in
> NT Emacs, is that it is impossible to directly bind commands to scroll
> up or down events, nor to bind commands to mouse wheel events on the
> mode line or header line only, like in X.  For example, I can't do
> something like this ;-)
>
> (global-set-key [mode-line mouse-4] 'mode-line-unbury-buffer)
> (global-set-key [mode-line mouse-5] 'mode-line-bury-buffer)
>
> I submit you the following patch to handle mouse wheel events in NT
> Emacs like in X, that is as mouse click events.  Scrolling the wheel
> up produces mouse-4 events, and scrolling the wheel down produces
> mouse-5 events, eventually prefixed by header or mode line depending
> on the mouse location :-)
>
> Finally, handling all mouse events in an uniform way seems to have
> fixed the performance problem mentioned above :-)

I would agree with this.  When I wrote the original mouse wheel
support (now long since changed to better implementations), I created
the mouse-wheel event because (to the best of my knowlede, at the
time at least) these events hadn't been standardized into a
mouse-4/mouse-5 event at that time in X.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)