Re: movemail on Debian

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: movemail on Debian
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 16:31:56 +0100

>     Why isn't movemail maintained with, or integrated into, mailutils?
>
> I am not sure what that would mean.  Could you explain?

I'm not sure what needs explaining.  I'd hope it meant that movemail
got expert maintenance from someone else with important features like
IMAP (see etc/TODO) and APOP.  Mailutils already has specific support
for Emacs since its `mh' component is already advertised primarily to
support mh-e, so I guess it would be open to providing movemail.  I
guess you'd end up with substantially more source for the program in
Emacs, and you'd have to sync it, but that seems worthwhile.

>       It
>     would presumably be a trivial job to assemble it from mailutils
>     components,
>
> I understand that even less.

The job that movemail does is basically a subset of what `mail' has to
do to extract messages to your mbox, so adding a movemail program to
mailutils should be easy.