Re: S-backspace

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: S-backspace
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:14:15 -0500 (CDT)

Miles Bader wrote:

   On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:01:57AM +0200, Alex Schroeder wrote:
   > In the new CVS, <S-backspace> runs the command kill-whole-line.
   > I'm hitting it about twice a day by accident, confusing me.
   > Can we reconsider this recent keybinding addition?

   Yeah, I also find shift is somewhat easier to hit accidentally than
   other modifiers, presumably because it usually has no effect, so my
   fingers have gotten into the habit of not releasing it very quickly
   after entering shifted letter.  So for instance if I accidentally
   enter `M' when I meant to enter `m', I tend to hit the DEL key
   while my brain is still processing the `release shift' concept, so
   end up hitting S-DEL about 50% of the time...

What about <M-S-backspace>.  Given your habits, that might still give
you problems when trying to kill an entirely capitalized word backward
with <M-backspace>, but that would seem to be a less frequent
situation.  I guess that C-S combinations might be indistinguishable
from plain C- on certain operating systems?

Sincerely,

Luc.