Re: Emacs failes to communicate with other X clients

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Emacs failes to communicate with other X clients
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:09:41 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Robin Hu <address@hidden> writes:
>     Of course Hangul characters can not be received when
> we set locale to zh_CN.GBK, but I think this is the right
> behavior. For example, while I set keyboard-coding-system
> to chinese-gbk, I can not input Hangul characters, because
> it's my responsibility to set correct keyboard coding
> system for chinese input. So I think that's also my
> responsibility to set correct locale for X paste.

The reason why you can't input Hangul characters is that
your input method doesn't support it or it generates data
only in chiense-gbk encoding which can't contain Hangul
characters.

Provided that you have an input method that produces both
Chinese and Hangul and sends data to Emacs in compound-text
encoding, and you set keyboard-coding-system to
compound-text, Emacs should accept all characters, shouldn't
it?

Emacs is a multilingual editor and its functionality should
not be limited by locale.

>     Another problem with current implementation is, some
> characters can be encoded in different char-settings. For
> example, I set file coding system to chinese-iso-8bit, and
> selection coding system to compound-text-with-extension,
> and copy/paste a very long chinese article from
> mozilla. Every thing seems to go fine, but this article
> just cannot be saved. This is because X encode some
> characters as if they are not chinese-iso-8bit characters,
> but emacs decode them to emacs-mule successfully, and
> finally file coding system cannot encode emacs-mule to
> chinese-iso-8bit.

In that case, Emacs asks you to select some of safe coding
systems.  If your Emacs supports chinese-gbk, it should also
be listed as a safe coding system.  I think that behaviour
is better than refusing characters not supported by
chinese-iso-8bit from the beginning.

Kenichi>  By the way, the coding system chinese-gbk is not
Kenichi> yet supported in the current Emacs.  Or, are you
Kenichi> using emacs-unicode?

>     Chinese-gbk is my extension to Emacs, I believe I have
> post it in m17n's maillist.

Oops, then, I'm very sorry that I completely forgot about
that mail.  Could you send it to me again?  Then I'll check
why:

>    Yeah, icccm list had been appended with GBK-0, that's why my emacs
>    can decode some gbk characters correctly, but problems are still
>    there. In the example I gived in the previous post, one embeded gbk
>    character will make all characters fail to be decoded. ;-(

that happens.

By the way, the name non-standard-icccm-encodings-alist is
wrong.  "icccm" should actually be "ctext".  I'll fix it
soon.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden