Re: Different (buffer-file-)coding-systems for different regions of one

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Different (buffer-file-)coding-systems for different regions of one buffer? (for Rmail MIME)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:44:14 -0400

    > Right now, if I switch to buffer RMAIL, I see the message that is
    > selected in the buffer RMAIL.  If that message is actually displayed
    > in another buffer, then switching to RMAIL won't show it, or won't
    > show it properly.

    The whole file could be in a buffer " RMAIL file".  Then the RMAIL
    buffer would contain what you expect.

That would not completely work.  Doing C-x C-s in the RMAIL buffer
would not save the file.  One way or another we would need to record
the relationship between the two buffers so that various Emacs features
could treat them properly.

    Some voodoo may be required to make C-x C-f ~/RMAIL RET work as
    expected.  (What is expected?  Maybe show the first message from the
    file, or something.)

Yes, that another aspect of this problem.