Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: 27 May 2003 15:27:08 +0200

> We have no good way to determine if anyone still uses a feature.
> Maybe we can create one.
>
> Imagine a function called note-feature-used.
> You call it like this:  (note-feature-used 'foo "Foo").
> The first time you call it, it sends mail to
> address@hidden with subject Foo,
> asking you for permission to send it,
> and it records (setq foo t) in your .emacs file.
> If you call it again, it does nothing.
>
> We could put these calls into various files and functions in order
> to find out (after the next release) whether anyone uses them.

Quite dangerous since it could be felt as a sort of privacy issue.
It must be carefully voiced.

Something like

Feature foo has been deprecated (? for info).  Complain (y/n)?

and then offer the usual "use it this time/don't ask again" dialog we
use for disabled commands.

After a while, one can remove the feature/command and instead do

Feature foo has been removed (? for info).  Complain (y/n)?

The info should explain why something is removed/deprecated and what
to use instead.  The mail buffer should be set up in a way that the
user can add his own comments and send, not just do this silently.