Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:54:51 -0400

    What about people  who use emacs for other things  than mail ?

I don't see why that would be a problem.

                                                                   Or
    those  more  generally  who  cannot  send mail  from  emacs  (for
    whatever reason).

I guess there is nothing we can do about that.

    What  about  collecting all  these  infos  and  prepare a  buffer
    containing the mail  to be sent (that could  be an alternate mean
    to report usages).

It doesn't seem like a useful idea.  These messages will probably
be rare.

    Isn't it possible to only  instrument 'eval' to get all functions
    (or interesting ones) used ?

It is possible, but I think an implementation that avoids intrusion
into the guts of Emacs is a superior one.