Re: Major update just committed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Major update just committed
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 06:46:44 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
>     I think we should, since 21.3 broke a few things that are quite
>     annoying.  I'd suggest to release 21.4 ASAP, with minimal pretest and
>     no changes except those which fix the bugs introduced by 21.3.
>
> That is basically a good idea, though we can fix a few other bugs too
> (we already have).

IMHO, this is The Mother of All Foobars.  We are tempted to fix a few
more bugs, and in the process introduce a new bug.  Then the pretest
becomes longer, we fix yet more bugs during that (if the release is
delayed, why not make it better, right?).  And then a couple of real
bugs creap in, and we release Emacs with them.

If we continue like that, we won't have a stable version before 21.34,
and the current CVS code that has so many useful improvements will not
be released before year 2035.  If we want to do better, we should use
will power to resist the temptation to fix non-critical bugs.

(Sorry for being in such a grumpy mood so early in the morning.)