Re: S-backspace

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: S-backspace
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:54:24 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

>>     Caution! Danger! Do not necessarily try!
>>
>>     `C-M-<DEL>'
>>       Kill balanced expression backward (`backward-kill-sexp').
>>
>> Perhaps we should delete that binding.  The hard thing is that it
>> works fine when you are not in X.
>
> Actually C-M-<DEL> is not dangerous.

It tells init to reboot the operating system when you are working on a
tty.

> C-M-backspace is the one that tends to kill the Xserver.
> `function-key-map' does not map C-M-backspace to C-M-<DEL>.
>
> As for removing the C-M-backspace binding, I'd tend to say that it's a bad
> idea because I use this binding extensively (I reconfig'd my Xserver so
> I could use it).
[...]

It doesn't matter anyways, because it is part of the structure of the
commands that move around sexprs. The first time I killed my X-Server
I simply wanted to 'kill the s-expression before point'. I didn't
read in the documentation that this command exists and that it is
bound to `C-M-<backspace>'; it's just the logical binding when you
are familiar with `M-C-a', `M-C-f' etc.

But I'd vote against binding `kill-whole-line' to
`S-M-<backspace>'. The penalty for clumsy fingers is way to high. I'd
have to be carefule and assure that I set my fingers right in order
to use this command -- which means that it would me more inconvenient
and complicated than `C-a C-k C-k', so I won't use it.

[C-S-<backspace>, or still better: `C-S-k' is fine, IMO.]

    Oliver
--
10 Prairial an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!