Re: Different (buffer-file-)coding-systems for different regions of one

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Different (buffer-file-)coding-systems for different regions of one buffer? (for Rmail MIME)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:20:52 +0900

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

    Perhaps not.  The thread started with a proposal for a coding system
    that would present Rmail with an already decoded buffer, so that the
    process of dealing with multiple coding systems and the like would be
    transparent to Rmail.  And I've been assuming that.

    rms> I thought that idea had been pretty much proved to be
    rms> unusable, and then someone (was it you?) brought up the
    rms> alternative of using two buffers.  So I have been talking
    rms> about how to do that.

Right, I see that now.

I think both approaches have merits.  I suspect that you will discover
(as Kyle and larsi apparently did) that a full-fledged MIME
implementation is much cleaner if you use a separate presentation
buffer.  But for the minimal usage (converting text/plain; charset=FOO
to Mule code, and displaying text attachments like patches inline),
you don't need it.