Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:38:15 +0200

I believe that Emacs key bindings are effectively preventing 99% or more
of Windows programmers and other younger programmers from ever using
it.

I think you greatly exaggerate the difficulty of adapting to Emacs
key bindings.

At my work there are many MS Windows users. None had any trouble adopting
to Emacs.  Well, one, but he uses vim, so being a Windows user wasn't
a factor in that case :-)

* The kill ring should not be used.  Cut and copy and paste should
operate on the Windows clipboard

This assumes the MS Windows model is superior to Emacs.  I think it
is the opposite.

Do any of you share these views? Why, or why not. Who else cares about
this issue and what can we do to bring about this important change?

AFAIK, many (most?) Emacs users (certainly its developers) want Emacs
to work the same on all supported platforms.

Yes, this is a big advantage.

        Jan D.