Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: 30 May 2003 10:48:50 +0900

Tak Ota <address@hidden> writes:
> This idea of notion layer is interesting and easy to say but actual
> implementation work is unimaginably enormous because it involves all
> lisp libraries.  I am not so positive if it is really worth daring.

It's been explored a bit in the past, for instance in the Hemlock editor
(CMUCL's emacs-a-like).  I think it's a useful concept, but runs into
problems if you try to apply it widely -- for instance, in emacs a
major part of the command set is `related' keybindings, like n and C-n;
are these one role?  Two?  If two, how are they related?

In emacs, you can kind of get a similar effect using Kim's `command
remapping' code.

[e.g., (local-set-key [remap next-line] 'forward-char) ]

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page