Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:40:40 -0400

> > These are very badly configured machines.
> > Complain to whoever is responsible for such a brain dead behavior.
> That would be me :-)

Are you saying that consciously installed sendmail and set up
its config so that it does the wrong thing ?

> > A missing sendmail or a sendmail that returns a particular error
> > could be a useful hint to convince Emacs to automatically try the
> > smtpmail package.
>
> Sendmail is not missing and does not return any error message.  The
> sendmail daemon is not running, that is all.  Why should it?  Nobody
> is using it, and a potential security risk is removed.  It seems
> excessive
> to configure sendmail and start a daemon just because Emacs might want
> to send a mail.

The default install of sendmail should not do what you describe,
because of its obvious tendency to behave as a blackhole.
Complain to whoever is responsible for this default config.
I'm not saying you should run it as a daemon.  I'm saying that running
it should report a "not configured" error.

        Stefan

PS: why have it installed if you don't use it and it doesn't work ?