Re: S-backspace

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: S-backspace
Date: 31 May 2003 01:59:49 +0200

> All in all, the situation created by XFree86 and Linux is a confusing
> one.  Given that XFree86 turns off the Linux handling of C-M-delete as
> a command to reboot, shouldn't it use C-M-delete for killing the X
> server, rather than C-M-backspace?

Well, that would cause other rather severe problems in some setups.

Consider the following setup which I guess is quite common for those
of us who want free software on our systems, but need to use non-free
software (for some tasks) to earn a living:

On my GNU/Linux box at work, I run a vmware virtual machine under X,
and inside that virtual machine I run Windows XP (to access the
company Intranet).  Now, to log into Windows XP, I need to press
C-A-delete (ie. C-M-delete); so it is _very_ fortunate that neither
Linux nor XFree86 uses that key sequence to restart the machine or the
X server.

Having said that, I think the choice of C-M-backspace to restart
the X-server is a very bad choice ... something like C-M-S-SysReq
or whatever obscure sequence would be better.