Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:27:30 -0400

>     Good point.  We could change those messages to take key-translation-map
>     into account, but it would probably be wrong (because of other uses of
>     key-translation-map where it shouldn't happen).
>
> Could you describe the two scenarios more precisely?
> In which case should the messages be changed?
> What is the case you are concerned about not changing them?

I don't really know.  Especially because I don't know when key-translation-map
is supposed to be used (it seems that it tends to be used more or less
interchangeably with function-key-map for very low-level things).

Let's say you bind `foo' to [?é].
Should (where-is 'foo) tell you that it's on C-x 8 ' e ?

>     So we'd need to add a new key-remapping layer, after key-translation-map
>     and before the actual key-lookup.
>
> Please don't do this.

Don't worry: I have no intention to spend any time on this.
I have plenty of other silly things to do,

        Stefan