Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 21:31:57 +0000 (UTC)

address@hidden (David Kastrup) wrote:

    A user interface is something like click with right mouse key on any
    menu entry and get a small submenu

No, that is not correct.  You are specifying a particular kind of user
interface for people who are sighted and who do not want to learn a
more efficent technique.

That is an important audience and Emacs should aim for it (as far as I
know, Emacs does not).

But at the same time, Emacs should also provide

  * a user interface for people who are permanently or situationally
    blind (Emacs does), and,

  * a user interface for people who desire to change more than three
    bindings at one time efficiently and who are willing to spend
    time, but less than the time of doing it awkwardly, learning how
    to do this (Emacs does, but GNOME/sawfish, as I found out
    yesterday, does not).

(Incidentally, I personally think the first "important feature" in the
etc/TODO list is more important than extending the user interface, but
the second "important feature" is less important.)

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden