Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:18:21 +0200

Do you mean "Graphical user interface" when you are saying "user
interface"?
If so, what you say makes some sense.

No, I don't mean that.  If you had bothered to read my mail to the end
before replying, you would have noticed that I called the interactive
binding for global-set-key an (although rather simplistic) user
interface for one-time setting of keybindings, but completely lacking
a way to make the keybinding persist into future sessions.

I did read your mail, you said:

"Uh, we don't _have_ a user interface for users to edit their personal
keybindings, nice or not."

and before that
"What Emacs has nowadays does not really deserve that name."

You did not say global-set-key is a simplistic user interface, you just
said it could be called interactively, which is why I asked.  Sorry for
not understanding all implied meanings.

        Jan D.