Re: INSTALL-CVS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: INSTALL-CVS
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 07:06:03 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:51:40 +0100
>
>  > ??? Are you saying that on your machine, if you type "make" in the
>  > top-level directory, it doesn't recurse into the `man' subdirectory
>  > automatically?
>
> Yes, I think thats right.
>
> My Makefile has these two lines
>
> all: ${SUBDIR} leim
>
> SUBDIR = lib-src src
>
> So only these three directories in the top-level are visited.

That's because in the normal (non-CVS) build, the files in the info
directory are already there.

Sorry, I forgot all those gory details.  The _real_ answer to your
question is that (1) "make bootstrap" builds the Info manuals,
and (2) if you build the CVS without bootstrapping, "make instal"
will make sure the Info manuals are up to date, and if not rebuild
them (see the target install-arch-indep which depends on info).

Given that, do you still think we should tell users to invoke Make in
the man subdirectory, and if so, why?