Re: Problems with info (emacs version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problems with info (emacs version)
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 07:29:44 +0300

> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:33:22 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> 5.  Last and definitely worst.  The user copies part of the info
>     buffer into an emacs mail buffer for somebody elses information.
>     What the receiver receives is not what the sender believes he
>     sent.  Granted, the hidden text does not exactly consist of
>     obscenities or such (although I did not yet try to read these node
>     names backward to get all the Satanic messages), but this is still
>     really bad.

I think `yank' should by default simply strip all text properties.  As
it currently works, it tends to surprise users, even if the properties
have some visible effect, and in my experience, most uses of `yank'
don't need to preserve the properties anyway.  I find myself doing a
"M-g M-g" quite a lot in these cases.

We could then have some optional feature to give the current behavior,
like a variable or a special value of the numeric argument to C-y.