Re: Idea for compilation mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Idea for compilation mode
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:53:48 -0400

    If someone changes this maybe it would be a good idea to change some other
    things to. Some menu entries (recompile, first error, previous error) could
be
    made availible via keyboard.

These two issues are unrelated.  If you suggest specific bindings,
I can think about them.

David Kastrup wrote:

    I want to point out that the next-error binding on C-x ` is awful to
    type on most international keyboards because ` is typically a dead
    key and only available with shift, to boot.

I agree it is inconvenient, but we were already running out of keys
when I chose it.  What other key sequence would you suggest?

Miles wrote:

    I've always use the old gosmacs binding for this -- `C-x C-n' -- which I
    find very nice (even on a normal ascii keyboard, C-x ` is rather awkward
    to type).

I didn't put it there because I carried forward the original Emacs
meaning of C-x C-n.  However, it could well be that next-error is
used more than set-goal-column.  So perhaps that binding should be changed.

However, if next-error is C-x C-n, previous-error can't be C-x C-p.
It would be better to find a good pair of keys for next-error and
previous-error.