Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:47:50 -0500 (CDT)

Karl Berry wrote:

   I don't like the divergent conditionals either.  However, I think it
   would be ok to simply say in info.texi, `Emacs Info does it this way,
   and standalone Info does it that way'.  I think that would be clear to
   users of both programs.  Better than (effectively) having two different
   manuals with the same name, anyway.

I usually use the Emacs version of Info.  Occasionally I will invoke
the standalone version from an xterm.  Because the manual tends to say:

`Emacs Info does it this way, and standalone Info does it that way'

(although in the case I pointed out, it forgot to do so),  I can use
both in an effective way without being surprised by the differences.
Presenting the user with two different manuals (regardless of how this
would be implemented internally) would make this nearly impossible to
achieve (instead of nearly trivial, as it is now).

In the case at hand, I believe it would probably have to say
(depending on what we decide to do):

"If you use standalone Info or use Emacs Info and set
Info-hide-note-references to nil..."

Sincerely,

Luc.