Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 19:12:17 -0400

    Presenting the user with two different manuals (regardless of how this
    would be implemented internally) would make this nearly impossible to

I agree wholeheartedly.  That's the only thing I feel really strongly
about, that we shouldn't have two manuals (especially not both named
info.texi!) for the two programs.

I believe many users use both standalone Info and Emacs info.el, and
those two interfaces are so very similar (by design, after all) it is
good to just describe the discrepancies where they exist, in a single
manual.  And we should work to minimize any such discrepancies.

By contrast, the other Info readers such as pinfo and tkinfo (besides
not being GNU software, as Eli says), have (I believe) quite different
interfaces.  So they need different manuals.

    "If you use standalone Info or use Emacs Info and set
    Info-hide-note-references to nil..."

There could/should also be a description of the Emacs Info behavior
with the node hiding.  Especially if it's the default.

As for whether the hiding is the default or not, that's your collective
decision.  rms asked my opinion, so I gave it, that's all :).