Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:13:54 +0200

Hi David,

I don't want to enter into an argument here, but for some of the
points that you made I had associations.

address@hidden (David Kastrup) writes:
> b) an easy way to carry your keybindings around on a floppy, web
> site or USB stick.
>
> Just copying .emacs will not cut it, really, since that tends to
> contain machine-specific stuff as well.

Just a thought:

If you want carry your .emacs around on some media, than you will have
to install it somehow, unless I am misunderstanding something about
the setup that you mean.  In that case you can just as easily call it
dak-keybindings.el and either just M-x load-library it or put a (load)
form into the .emacs that is there.  IOW, it doesn't have to be a
complete .emacs.

> If you will lose your personal keybindings the moment you go to a
> different machine, there is not much point in customizing to your
> convenience.

Right.  As I do it (and I'd guess some other people, too), I customize
my setup, but I also try to learn some of the default bindings, so I
can get around without my customizations.  I end up using a mixture of
my own shortcuts, default keys, and keys that I know from other
environments, like CUA.  Which is fine for me.

> Should keybindings be themeable?

CUA-mode and pc-selection-mode actually already do that, and also
brief-mode and wordstar-mode, I think.  All those package only address
a limited set of keys, I think.  Most single Emacs application modes
define more keys.

so long, benny