Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:55:29 -0400

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 02:11:48AM +0200, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> I don't see how it can harm documentation to make it easier to read!
>
> And IMO the traditional *Note format definitely doesn't make info
> documents easy to read.

You can probably guess this based on my previous posts, but I strongly agree
with Kim.  The old style is _hard to read_; this is especially true for
documents with verbose node-names, where xrefs can become enourmously
distracting.

There was once some technical reason for showing embedded node names --
keeping out-of-band data was too annoying -- but now that there isn't, we
should get rid of them.

[Though I favor the `destructively modify the text' approach, as I thik it
would lead to future weird artifacts]

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....