Re: Idea for compilation mode

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: Idea for compilation mode
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:01:52 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephan Stahl <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If set-goal-column should be on a key maybe C-x , can be used. Thats
> > not far away from the old C-x C-n and C-x . which is directly beside
> > would be somehow similar in function (set-fill-prefix).  I think we
> > should stop soon or we'll end up remapping all keys :-).
>
> Which would not be the worst thing.  As I said, it would be a viable
> task for the TODO list to go through the existing, historically grown
> keymappings with a fine comb, try to compare the probable usefulness
> of mappings with their mnemonic characteristics and their awkwardness
> (taking non-American keyboard layouts somewhat into mind as well) or

Taking non-American keyboard layouts into mind seems like a very complicated
thing. I myself use a us-international layout because most others layouts i
have tried are horrible to use with applications like emacs or maybe vi.
For example the german keyboard has not two alt keys but one alt and one altGr
keys. To produce ] one would have to type altGr-9. It is not possible to type
C-] (aka ESC) on a german keyboard because it would require both ctrl and altGr
to be pressed. At least i never found a keyboard / operating system where it is
possible. Besides it would be very hard to hit all three keys at once.
I belive most other european keyboard layouts are somewhat similar in that
aspect.

--
Stephan Stahl