Re: Idea for compilation mode

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: Idea for compilation mode
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:40:04 +0200

Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephan Stahl <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > To produce ] one would have to type altGr-9.
>
> I do AltGr +. And I don't find it particularly cumbersome (yes, I
> program in C, C++, Perl and other languages where [] are heavily used).

I am not sure where + is on a spanish keyboard but i find AtlGr-9 is very hard
to hit on a german keyboard. AlrGr is on the right side and 9 too so one would
have to completly leave the homerow with the right hand. very bad. Or use two
hands in which case you have to find the homerow for two hands.. very very bad.

> > It is not possible to type
> > C-] (aka ESC) on a german keyboard because it would require both ctrl and
> > altGr to be pressed.
>
> To do C-] I have to type AltGr Right-Ctrl +, in that precise order. And
> left ctrl won't do :)

I have tried it and you are right thanks! I would have never tried this because
normaly i press the modifier with one hand and the key with the other.
Then again RightCtrl-AltGr-9 is almost imposible to do when typing fluidly?

> > Besides it would be very hard to hit all three keys at once.
>
> Do you do C-] very often?

Well actually that should have been C-[ which i often use when Meta / Alt is
not availible when using some bad graphical ssh client. But the same goes for
{ [ ] } \ ~  which are on 7 8 9... Those are used more often in emacs.

C-c C-\ c-backslash-region
C-M-\ indent-region
M-} dired-next-marked-file
M-{ dired-prev-marked-file
M-\ delete-horizontal-space
C-\ toggle-input-method
M-~ not-modified

come to mind.

Or imagine someone using viper mode. I like C-[ aka ESC much more on an
american keyboard layout than ESC on any other keyboard. But on a german
keyboard both are not very good IMO.

That is just to point out someone who wants to look for better bindings and
wants to keep non american keyboards in mind has a very difficult job to do.

--
Stephan Stahl