Re: Idea for compilation mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Idea for compilation mode
Date: 06 Jun 2003 17:40:02 +0200

Stephan Stahl <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Stephan Stahl <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > If set-goal-column should be on a key maybe C-x , can be used. Thats
> > > not far away from the old C-x C-n and C-x . which is directly beside
> > > would be somehow similar in function (set-fill-prefix).  I think we
> > > should stop soon or we'll end up remapping all keys :-).
> >
> > Which would not be the worst thing.  As I said, it would be a viable
> > task for the TODO list to go through the existing, historically grown
> > keymappings with a fine comb, try to compare the probable usefulness
> > of mappings with their mnemonic characteristics and their awkwardness
> > (taking non-American keyboard layouts somewhat into mind as well) or
>
> Taking non-American keyboard layouts into mind seems like a very
> complicated thing.

It's not something you could hope to achieve completely, but there
are keys that are notably difficult to type on a lot of keyboards. `
and @, for example.  Not using those for the most common
functionalities can help quite a bit.

> I myself use a us-international layout because most others layouts i
> have tried are horrible to use with applications like emacs or maybe
> vi.  For example the german keyboard has not two alt keys but one
> alt and one altGr keys. To produce ] one would have to type
> altGr-9. It is not possible to type C-] (aka ESC) on a german
> keyboard because it would require both ctrl and altGr to be
> pressed.

C-] is not ESC, but GS.  C-[ is ESC, and pressing both ctrl and altGr
is quite possible on a German keyboard.

> At least i never found a keyboard / operating system where
> it is possible. Besides it would be very hard to hit all three keys
> at once.

Why would you need to do that?  First you press the modifiers, then
you press the key itself.