Re: recentf new feature proposal

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: recentf new feature proposal
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 20:16:53 +0200

On Fri,  6 Jun 2003 15:54:55 +0200 (CEST), David PONCE <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is a good point.  I didn't know that saveplace already provided
> that feature :-(

Ah. Take a look at it. I use it all the time.

> However, from a user point of view, it could be more convenient to use
> only one library to open last visited files at last visited position.

Hmm.

recentf offers a way to (re)visit files; saveplace offers a way to save
yourself from remembering where you were in the files (and the pain to
vaguely related).

IMO, if you use recentf and not saveplace, likely you don't want to
restore the point anywhere. If you use recentf and want to restore the
point for revisited files, likely saveplace's functionality will
interest you even if you visit your files by other methods than recentf...

> Also, that will reduce the number of hooks used, and the number of
> session related files ;-)

saveplace.el[c] is quite small.

> recentf could check if saveplace is enabled, and not restore the point in
> that case.

What worries me is duplicating this kind of functionality. There are
already other modules who ease visiting files... Should every one of
them implement point restoring?

> Maybe other people have different thoughts?

Perhaps it'd be posible to extend (a little) saveplace.el so you can
better customize when it should activate; this way, people who want to
use saveplace-like functionality outside recentf-loaded files but not
want if for recentf or viceversa could customize it to his heart's
content.

> Anyway, feel free to not install the patch if you don't like it.

I feel it's unnecessary. Other than that, I've got nothing to say.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u