Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:22:04 -0400

    IMO, it would be much simpler just to move the feature to obsolete in
    21.5, and if we don't get any feedback on the feature, we may decide to
    remove it in 22.1 -- or just leave it in.

We are talking about different scenarios.  Lisp files can be moved
to the obsolete directory.  Some features are not files, or even
specific parts of files; they cannot easily be moved anywhere.

    So in emacs 21.5, we mark feature X so that usage is reported back to
    the emacs team.

    In the 2-3 years before we release emacs 22.1, we have gathered enough
    "no responses" to decide feature X may be removed in 22.1.

It won't take 2-3 years after 21.5 is released to find out whether
there is substantial usage of a feature.