Re: Gud lord!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gud lord!
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:12:18 -0400

> Where's the logic in putting gud.el in the progmodes directory? I can see the
> point in grouping files which have a natural relationship together but gud.el
> is not a mode for a computer language. If I'm looking for something, I quite
> often grep the lisp directory, so my rule would be:

I don't have a particular opinion on this except I'd like to remind
people that CVS deals very poorly with file moves, so it's best
to refrain from doing them unless there's a really compelling reason.

Anyone who's had to track down old changes to ange-ftp or some other such
file that was moved knows that it's a pain when you need to find
the change history "before version 1.1".

I'd be happy to see gud.el reintegrate its lisp/gud.el location for
this reason.

        Stefan "who wasn't particularly thrilled by the move of outline.el
                for example"

PS: Obviously moving things to `obsolete' is a totally different matter
    since the file name has significance and since those files are
    not expected to see much work on them anyway, so the CVS history
    is not of much importance.