Re: Gud lord!

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Gud lord!
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:32:19 +0200

On 09 Jun 2003 17:11:37 +0900
Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
> > Every single time that big changes (big == "affecting more than one file")
> > are suggested in the list, there's little or no discussion, no
> > one really opposes... and then, after the fact, disagreement suddenly
> > pop ups. I find it quite a bit tiring.
>
> Get used to it.

Funny, you seem to be arguing that:

 1) People should complain when they see something wrong, even if it's a
bit (or much) late.

 2) I should get used to this behavior, instead of complaining if I feel
is wrong :)

> I often don't follow threads which don't seem interesting in their first
> few messages, and there have been big changes discussed at the tail-end
> of threads which may not even resemble the original topic!

Yes, I undestand that. But we're now talking about a thread whose *first
message* was one from RMS specifically asking for files to move. People
who do feel strongly against moves (unless *really* justified) should
perhaps have noted so then, shouldn't they?

> The effects of big changes are often rather hard to miss once they're
> done, however.  If there's a problem, there's a problem, and I'd hope
> that people will speak up when they see one, regardless of how annoying
> it is for the person who made the change.

Sure. OTOH, inconveniences when dealing with old changes for a few
modules does not seem like a problem to me (My Very Subjective Opinion,
of course), because there's not that often you have to go through CVS to
see the exact lines changed. ChangeLog entries are still there, after
all, to get a feeling of when/what/why/by whom something changed.

                                                                Juanma