Re: Gud lord!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gud lord!
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:37:31 -0400

> I'm thrilled by every move whose result makes the lisp/ structure and
> organization better (for, admitedly, highly subjective definitions of
> "better").

So am I.

> Tracking changes in CVS files is harder after they move,
> true; but I was under the feeling that lisp/ organization was there to
> help users, not developers :)

Well, actually, I doubt users care about the directory in which
we place bundled files.

> Yes, I undestand that. But we're now talking about a thread whose *first
> message* was one from RMS specifically asking for files to move.  People
> who do feel strongly against moves (unless *really* justified) should
> perhaps have noted so then, shouldn't they?

I only complained when the first wave of moves (the one discussed)
seemed to be followed by more (in this case the move of gud.el).
I wanted to remind people that there's a tradeoff.
I didn't complain at first, because I can live with a small dose
of moves, and I partly like them as well.

> Sure. OTOH, inconveniences when dealing with old changes for a few
> modules does not seem like a problem to me (My Very Subjective Opinion,
> of course),

How much have you had to change/rewrite old code ?  I'd bet not much,
because when you have to do that, the first thing you need to figure out
is which part of the current behavior was intended and which part
is just accidental or historical, and for that you need the log and
the corresponding diffs.  `vc-annotate' is great for this.

> because there's not that often you have to go through CVS to
> see the exact lines changed. ChangeLog entries are still there, after
> all, to get a feeling of when/what/why/by whom something changed.

The frequency totally depends on what you're trying to do.

        Stefan