Re: Display problem with upper case accentuated chars

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Display problem with upper case accentuated chars
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:47:35 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Vinicius Jose Latorre <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm having display problem with upper case accentuated
> chars when using Emacs 21.3.50.1.

> I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (downloaded and installed
> today - 2003-06-07) and Red Hat 8.0.

> The problem is that when I insert, for example, the
> character à in a buffer, it is displayed:

> Ä   Ã
>  ^
>  +---- here is where the cursor is positioned after insertion

> The characters À, Á, É, Í, Ó and Ú are displayed with a
> 'point' above the letter instead the proper accent.

> The characters Ã, Õ and Ê are displayed Ä, Ö and Ë,
> respectively.

It seems that they are displayed with such a font that the
font's glyphs are taller than the font's logical bounding
box.  Thus the topmost few pixels are overwritten by the
previous line.  That also explains why lowercase characters
are ok.

Please type C-u C-x = on problematic characters and check
what fonts are used.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden