Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:47:56 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> This is because output expressions do not distinguish between
> references to the same document on a different page and distant
> documents,

In lynx, press '=' and you will see what's up with the link (or switch
to "advanced user" and the status line will show useful info).

> and because I cannot go to next, previous, and subsequent nodes
> readily,

HTML has LINK in HEAD; LINK is meant to serve those purposes and lynx
supports it since ages.

> or do regular expression searches through a multi-page document.

Use grep to go thru local file (etags and tags-search might work as
well); if you are interested in remote files, either make use of a
search engine or install an http index tool like htdig -- question: how
to you browse remotely installed info files? ;)

Of course, I don't want to deny that Texinfo is very strong for
certain tasks.

> It looks to me that HTML was designed by someone who thought everyone
> would always be on one planet on the same, fast local area network.

It's simply impossible to store _all_ docs locally.

>     I don't see how hiding node names could be a step in the wrong
>     direction.
>
> Because node names tell you where a file is located.

This isn't always true.  To be sure, I must enter the node and then
call C-x C-f (or a similar command)--glancing at the node name does not
tell me whether it's under /usr/share/info or /gnu/share/info; I use
thise setting (abbreviated):

(add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list "/gnu/share/info")

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home)               |   (*)/'(*)