Re: yet another todo editing system

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: yet another todo editing system
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:59:58 -0400

       *  Unlike outline-mode, Todo only displays one "level" of
          text at a time.  If I want to write an outline of a paper in
          Todo, the top page would be a list of links to the
          sections.

You could customize Outline mode to do to operate in this way, I
think.

       *  Todo can be used to "mark up" text.  This is currently done
          by giving each list entry a one-letter tag.  An example
          of the source for a Todo list is:

             <m> Math <<math_hw>>
             <h> Physics <<physics_hw>>

Outline mode has nothing like this feature, but it seems to me
that you could use a macro processor to achieve this
and use Outline mode to do the editing.

       o  By exporting all the lists in a "path" (as in, math_hw*), you
          can build hypertext outlines.

I don't understand what that means in concrete terms.  So I cannot
tell whether it would be easy or hard to make Outline mode do this
too.

       *  Unlike Emacs Wiki or Hyperbole, Todo provides a highly structured
          text editing/viewing environment.

What does that mean?  (I have never used Wiki.)

    > Unlike Emacs Wiki or Hyperbole, Todo provides a highly structured text
    > editing/viewing environment.  Everything you see is is a list or an
    > "atom"; an atom is either a simple string or a link.  Unlike with these
    > packages, in Todo links do not appear automatically. (At least not
    > currently!)

    I.e. forward links do not appear automatically; backwards links as
    discussed in my eariler email to Kai do appear automatically.

I am not sure what "forward links" and "backward links" mean in this
context.  Outline mode does not have anything to do with links.

      It might turn out to be useful for editing
    code, since you could easily see which functions use the current
    function -- though of course you can do that with plain ol' grep too.

A feature for browsing programs certainly ought to be part of Emacs.