Re: malloc and alignment

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: malloc and alignment
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:57:32 +0900

    Stefan> but his Emacs process went up to 2.1GB (Mule begins by
    Stefan> allocating a destination area of 1510MB because latin-1
    Stefan> has a max-expansion factor of 2),

In XEmacs, that's a hypothesis, IIRC, not yet proved; it could just be
a bug in the allocation routines.

    Stefan> so I think that a 512MB limit due to integers might not be
    Stefan> that bad, since bumping it to 1GB will just replace this
    Stefan> limit with others.

FWIW when I proposed swapping 31-bit integers and 30-bit characters so
that we could have a proper native representation of ISO 10646 UCS-4,
it was vetoed on the grounds that the vetoer's coworker edited a
particular (ASCII-only) > 512MB logfile every day.