Re: narrow-to-here-document

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: narrow-to-here-document
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:10:28 -0700

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:59:09PM +0900, Masatake YAMATO wrote:
> I've written a new function, narrot-to-here-document.  This might be
> useful to edit here document region in a script file.

> How to you think to add this feature to emacs?

> 1. hdoc.el --- Generic here document support
> 2. sh-script.el and cperl-mode.el adapters

But are there any other modes with here-docs?

I would do it like this:

a) defined a variable which keeps a function looking for a here-doc.

b) Merge your two adapters into one function (which makes a runtime
   dispatch basing on the mode - and croaks if the mode is not known);
   put the function into the variable.

c) delegate the other work to the mode writers - when a mode supports
   an interaction with your function, it should make your variable
   buffer-local, and will put its helper function into the variable.

Hope this helps,
Ilya