Re: narrow-to-here-document

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: narrow-to-here-document
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:33:03 -0700

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 04:48:09PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> > > TeX is one particular contestant.  There are forms of "Literate
> > > Programming" with a heavy mixture of code and comments, but every
> > > reference manual contains C code passages, shell scripts and similar
> > > stuff.  An excerpt:
> >
> > TeX has no HERE documents.  Period.
>
> An interesting style of discussion, given that I provided examples.

> > There are *programming styles* in TeX (as far as can call fighting
> > with TeX deficiencies programming ;-[) which provide a poor-man
> > approximations to HERE documents.

You did not provide any example of HERE-doc in TeX (only of constructs
which may be used as substitutes for a language feature); as I said,
there is no such thing.  But this is pointless to discuss; what
matters is how things are used, and given an engine which detects
loaded packages, one can recognize the substitutes instead.

> So I think that the potential applicability of such functionality
> can't be completely summarized with "TeX has no HERE documents.
> Period."  For the sake of discussing the matter at hand, I don't see
> that it would make sense not to consider the various TeX-based
> applications here, too.

I agreed with this in the end of the previous posting already. ;-)

Yours,
Ilya