Re: Info-scroll-prefer-subnodes default in Emacs.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info-scroll-prefer-subnodes default in Emacs.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:12:41 +0300

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:55:03 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> With Info-scroll-prefer-subnodes set to nil or in the stand-alone
> Info, we first scroll through the index and then go to
> (emacs)Shell Commands in Dired.  It would be more consistent with the
> "browse through everything consecutively as if it were one single
> document" philosophy if we went to the next node, (emacs)Option Index
> instead.

An index is just a giant menu, as far as the Info readers are
concerned.  So they behave as they do with menus; they don't have any
special treatment for indices.

> There are related problems.  In Emacs Info, `]' and `[' behave as
> usual in Indices.  In the stand-alone version, they do not.  (Just try
> to "browse" through the various Emacs manual indices using `]' and `['
> in the stand-alone Info.)

What's wrong with `]' and `[' in the stand-alone Info when you are in
an index?

> How do we determine reliably whether or not a node is an Index?

I don't think you can do that in any way except by looking at the
node's name.  And that's not very reliable, although in many cases it
could do the job.